What were some of areas we focused on in our library/computer lessons? For K-2 students, depending on grade level:
- Student introduction to the library and its staff
- Theme – What is a library?
- Behavior expectations, how to take care of a book, examples of proper and improper book care.
- Yes/No Review Game – reviewing proper book care.
- Computer lab rules and parts of the computer
- Logging into the computer, navigating the desktop and practicing mouse skills.
- Practicing listening behaviors and book check out.
- Computer lab rules and AUP
- Importance of selecting a “just right” book and using the 5-finger rule were discussed and modeled.
- Introducing the OPAC
For 3-5 students, depending on grade level:
- Online Library Catalog – specific searches (title, author, subject, series)
- Respecting School Computers – Acceptable Use Policy discussed, importance of hand sanitizer
- Review of school web page.
- Difference Between Fiction and Non-Fiction – call numbers and locations
- Logging into the computer, navigating the desktop and practicing using the OPAC.
- Scavenger Hunt to locate different areas of the library and find specific items based on call