The Book Bugs reading program is designed to encourage students in Kindergarten through 5th grade to increase their independent reading. The program is built around simple record keeping with the following guidelines:
- The child reads a book. The books can come from home, school, the public library or anywhere.
- The title and date are recorded on the Book Bug sheet.
- For longer books (chapter books) every 25 pages may be counted as one book.
- Younger students may include books that have been read to them.
- Sheets must be signed by a parent or guardian to verify the successful completion of reading the book.
- Completed sheets are turned into their teacher and new blank sheets will be made available.
- The reading lists and total will follow the student throughout his/her time at Riverside.
- All record keeping will be handled by the IMC.
- At various levels of reading involvement students will receive the following recognition for their participation:
25 Books – Certificate
50 Books – Bookmark
100 Books – Book Bug Button
200 Books – Poster
300 Books – Medal
400 Books – T-shirt
500 Books – Gift certificate to Politos
1000 Books – Trophy
1500 Books – Paperback book
2000 Books – Hardbound book of student’s choice signed by Riverside staff
2500 Books – Reading Book Light
3000 Books – $25 Barnes and Noble Gift card
3500 Books – $25 Target Gift card
4000 Books – Reading Plaque